a blog from seedling
With temps heating up and travels on the horizon, we asked Seedling Co-Founder Kara Nortman to share her top five apps for enjoying summer on the move. Here are her best-in-tech recommendations for relaxing, staying in touch, and keeping kids happy so you can arrive at your destination ready for adventure.
1. Longer days, different time zones, and vacation can surprisingly impact your activity and sleep. To keep up with her fitness goals of walking more and logging eight hours, Kara turns to Lark and Lark Up (both iOS and Android). Lark tracks fitness and nutrition so you can rack up steps when sightseeing and avoid unhealthy food traps on the road. Meanwhile, the virtual sleep coach Lark Up helps you sleep and wake better, empowering you to easily adjust your habits with a personalized guide for better rest. And that’s what summer is all about – rest and relaxation.
2. Summer is everyone’s time for travel, and the excitement of arriving at your hotel or relative’s house might prompt a few “Are we there yet?” groans from the kiddos. Kara ensures smooth sailing with YouTube Kids (iOS and Android). From music to education, the app delivers curated kids-only content with the benefits of parental controls and a timer.
3. Five or 5,000 miles away? Keeping in touch with family, friends, and business partners on a staycation or jetting to a far-flung destination is easier than ever with Periscope (iOS and Android). Kara loves the live streaming app so she can connect with her community in real time, even if they’re celebrating the season across the country.
4. Kids aren’t the only ones that need on-the-go entertainment. Kara likes Pocket Casts (iOS and Android) so she can enjoy her favorite podcasts like Fresh Air and Ted Radio Hour wherever she’s headed.
5. Beautiful beaches and weather make Los Angeles a prime destination for tourists. With the influx of visitors, traffic unfortunately increases. Kara relies on Waze (iOS and Android), which is a must for avoiding unnecessary time in the car. Summer is best enjoyed outdoors!What are your favorite summertime survival apps? We’d love to know what we should download next.